Breast Cancer Awareness Month
If you’ve been seeing pink then you are already aware of Breast Cancer Awareness month. During the month of October millions of people come together in hopes to raise awareness and participate in local events. While many of us know about Breast Cancer there are still a majority who are not aware on how to prevent and fight this disease. Last year Bill Jacobs Motorsport presented Susan G. Komen Chicagoland with a $2,500 check by donating $1 for every test drive taken during the month of October. While this year we are taking a step back with a simple focus on raising awareness we want to make sure to inform everyone about different ways to get involved.
1. Take the Pledge
- PREVENTION: Ask your doctor what steps you can take that could reduce your risk of breast cancer.
- LEARNING: Arm yourself with knowledge about your own risks.
- EXAMINATION: With your doctor, find out when you should get screened for breast cancer, and how often.
- DENSITY: Have a conversation with your doctor to see which screening approach is right for you.
- GENETICS: Discuss with your doctor your family history to see what it might mean for your level of risk.
- EDUCATE – Once you have put these steps into action, “pay it forward” by encouraging friends and family to do it as well.
Once you are finished with each step make sure to sign the pledge here!
2. Get informed
Did you know that Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths among women in the U.S. (lung cancer is #1)? Read up on other facts and warning signs/symptoms here. Being informed will not only help yourself but will help you educate your friends and family members.
3. Participate in Local Events
There are plenty of opportunities to join other amazing and inspiring people. You can find local events here by just adding your location.